Wednesday 4 October 2023

Quiet play BOM

We have another finish!!!!
This is the finished Quiet Play BOM for 2023 - Under the garden, now I will start with saying I do love this quilt rather a lot! but lets say it hasnt been without its challenges .....
To start with I was hoping to do this in liberty fabrics, so I bought 7 meters of plain blue lawn, now I couldnt really justify liberty plain lawn so I bought lawn from a reputable company ....
I pre washed it as it was quite dark blue, and it bled, pre washed again, still bleeding A LOT !!!
These are the colour catchers after several washes

so I contacted the company, its a long sad story but the most they were willing to do was refund me 10%, I was not having that, me being stubborn thought that was admitting that it might be partly my fault (it wasnt, I pre washed the fabrics according to the instructions on their web site) So I ended up with nothing, I could have taken it a bit further but by that time it was causing me anxiety so I just thought leave it here!
Next decision was what to use instead? I decided to go scrappy, I have been collecting Hungarian blue fabrics and thought I would have enough of the (just!) to do the background.

So off I set! now the mariners compasses in the pattern were pretty easy peasy for a seasoned FPPer like me 😂
I got the chance to use up some of the blues I had bought for the Lion quilt for Leo but never used.
There were 2 sets of sashing blocks, these scallops which were great for using up scraps
Also the anchor blocks below, I tried to use a similar fabric for all the anchors. You can see below the first non compass block the angler fish, he should have had teeth but I wanted him to look more friendly!
I am trying to streamline the sewing room more! Raskog trolleys for the win! They hold my project baskets nicely and can easily be wheeled around
Also I was a bit worried about the amount of FPP I have been doing and the effect on my main machine, its been getting a battering over the last year! So I set up my featherweight permanently in the sewing room and now use it exclusively for FPP, best thing I have done, love it and its so sweet to look at too 😊
As the BOM went on the non compass blocks got more and more difficult, one of them, the crabs I think had 56 pieces in one block .....






 

The mermaid below really kicked my butt too ..... but overall I loved it

These turtles were "challenging" 😂

Seahorsies were ok actually, no issues with these

I did have to buy more fabric for the sashings but thats ok, this quilt used up a lot of my stash which is a good good thing!
It will all head off to Siblings together!

2 comments:

  1. It’s gorgeous and it must be wonderful to have it finished after such a rocky start and some, um, tricky blocks. Hooray for finishes and the fettling of them *waves pompoms*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Alls well that ends well 😊

      Delete