Tuesday 22 August 2023

Sewing machine covers - all the shrooms!

 And its another big fat tick off the fettle list! I have always wanted to make a cover for the main sewing machine, it sits in a window and has been showing yellowing and brittleness on the plastic. I found a pattern I liked and now that I have the featherweight also set up I determined now was the time to make covers for both. I am also doing a LOT of fpp which generates a lot of stoor! (dust)
I also have some really lovely fabrics I have been wanting to use for ages and now is the time!

The above red is a begger to photograph but is so glorious so I chose it for the cover for the main sewing machine.
For the side panels I chose this black and gold mushroom fabric, another favourite from Ruby Star
A fair bit of wrangling was involved, the pattern was mostly good but it had pockets which i didnt need so I omitted them, I havent credited it here or on the instagram post becuase I had one issue with it, which I dont think was my fault. 
Can you see here? the main body of the cover is almost an inch longer at either side, I just cut it off but didnt want to recommend the pattern because of this, a bit of a tricky one?
I bound it with some Alison Glass black and gold metallic fabric and am so chuffed with the result!
So, courtesy of unexpected time at home due to a faulty clutch in the car I was able to make the second one for the feather weight! More glorious fabrics from Melody Miller for Ruby star, these shrooms have been waiting for just the right thing!
Above and below were joined for the main body of the cover
The pink is for the side panels
Glorious! love it!
we love shrooms in the sewing room !

Side panels again!
I used car headliner foam for the body, it worked really well, my main walking foot had real difficulty with the foam though, but the featherweight came to the resuce!
I managed to put the walking foot back together but it still didnt like it ....

 So I used the class machine for the quilting
And the featherweight for joining sections together!
I love both of these rather a lot, I now get to see all these glorious fabrics every day!









2 comments:

  1. They’re fantastic! Hooray for finishes and the fettling of them *waves pompoms*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I love a pom pom wave and I loved making these!

      Delete