It's all hotting up, really good series 5🌟
Love the way you lie by Lisa Unger
Cracking end to the series. All wrapped up nicely 5🌟
Five go down to the sea by Enid Blyton
I remember this being a favourite whne I first read them a a child. They still enchant but do reflect the attitudes of the time 5 🌟
The emperors pearl by Robert Van Gulik
I think this is my favourite judge Dee story. Mainly for the character of Miss Lieng. A rollicking good read 5 🌟
The Red Ikon by Sam Eastland
I love this one. We get to see so much of Pekkala and Kirov. I love the dual timeline of all of the books in this series but this one seems the best to me. 5 🌟
Phoros nexus by Katherine Okia
Cracking addition to the series. This is an engaging cosy sci fi mystery with a great cast of characters. I particularly love the female lead Mira and her friend Hannah, both strong women but in different ways. The mystery follows on from the first in the series I really appreciated the reminder at the beginning of the book about events from the first in the series. Sometimes this is missed out or sometimes it goes on far too long. Here it was just right. A very satisfying mystery follows, good pace enough but not too many twists and turns finishing with a very satisfying conclusion. 5 🌟
Unsolved by Heather Critchlow
Excellent story, really gripping. I do love a dual timeline. Tightly paced, enough twists and turns but not too many and a nice twist
at the end 4.5 🌟
The battle of the labyrinth by Rick Riordan
This is such a fantastic series. 5 🌟
Murder at devil's Ridge by Irina Shapiro
Fantastic addition to the series. Its lovely to see Sebastian and Gemma enjoy married life as well as getting a glimpse into Sebastians past.
A particularly disturbing case involving what looks like a ritual child murder.
Plenty of suspects and enough twists and turns to keep the reader guessing. A sad but satisfactory conclusion I was kept guessing until the end. My thanks to Netgalley, the author and publisher for the book 5 🌟
A particularly disturbing case involving what looks like a ritual child murder.
Plenty of suspects and enough twists and turns to keep the reader guessing. A sad but satisfactory conclusion I was kept guessing until the end. My thanks to Netgalley, the author and publisher for the book 5 🌟
The night she disappeared by Lisa Jewell
Just not for me DNF
Five go to mystery moor by Enid Blyton
OK im taking a star off because Enid Blyton Really can't hide her snobbery/racism in this one. Its a shame because its such a good story but her prejudices shame through even more in this one 4 🌟
A weekend getaway murder by Tam May
A fabulous addition to the series. The characters feel fully fleshed and there is an authentic period atmosphere. The book is longer than most cosy mysteries I read but feels the better for it. More time to flesh out the plot which has enough twists and turns to keep the reader guessing. A very satisfying conclusion.
My thanks to the author and Netgalley for a review copy 5 🌟
Unseen by Heather Critchlow
It's not often I'm bereft at the end of a series. I do hope we get to see Cal Lovett again. This series has gripped me from the start. So well written, tight plotting and pacing and main characters you actually believe in and are rooting for. I can't wait to see what the author does next.
With thanks to the author and Netgalley for the copy.
With thanks to the author and Netgalley for the copy.
5 🌟
Murder at Marchmont and Bell by Imogen Penrose
Enjoyable cosy mystery set in an antiquarian bookshop.
I wasn't quite sure about the ghost but I think there will be more revealed in later stories.
Overall a quick Enjoyable read 3.5 🌟
Halloween of the Briar King by Karsten Knight
Great addition to the series. Not too spooky like others have been but just spooky enough 5 🌟
Hangman's holiday on Audible by Dorothy L Sayers
Enjoyable short stories but I don't like the narrator 4 🌟
Conviction by Denise Mina
Just didnt grab me DNF
In the teeth of the evidence
Nice set of short stories but I prefer the full stories and I don't like the narrator 4 🌟
The first edition by Imogen Penrose
Enjoyable short prequel 3.5 🌟
The cancelled leaf by Imogen Penrose
I enjoyed this one, the historical aspect gave it a charm I liked 4 🌟
Rotters end by Melissa Peterson Lewis
Really sad to see this series end I've thoroughly enjoyed it.
This final installment was a fitting conclusion. Slightly rushed towards the end but a very nice conclusion 4.5 🌟
The mermaids singing by Val McDermid
Just way too gory DNF
Harley James and the Falcon Queen by Leah Cupps
I do love this series but this wasn't the most exciting one. It was still enjoyable just not on a par with the previous two
Also as a Scottish person I did bristle at the attempts at Scottish dialect. A bit of a mish mash 3.75 🌟
Wolf Hall on Audible by Hilary Mantel
Found it too dry and boring DNF
The moons feeble fire by Allan Gaw
Just brilliant loving this series. I didn't feel the actual murder was quite as engaging as the previous one. But in a sense I feel the murder is secondary to the back story which is so gripping and well written
All the main characters are so well fleshed out and so believable 4 🌟
Moss and malice by Sadie Finch
This was a sweet enjoyable read. A nice length for a cosy
mystery. A little bit of the paranormal but not too much.
Lovely characters, i want to see how these develop.
And as a retired librarian I was happy with the portrayal
of the librarians in the story. Not too stereotypical or
cliched which was a refreshing change. 4🌟
The pattern by Sadie Finch
This was a nice wee prequel to the series 3.75 🌟
The labyrinth by Robert McNeil
Solid police procedural. Nice series starter 3.75 🌟
The final hours by David Menon
There is a good story in here but the writing is too stilted DNF
The folk of the faraway tree by Enid Blyton
The stories are lovely but the attitudes of the time show through hence 4 instead of 5 stars 4 🌟
Edinburgh dusk by Carole Lawrence
Just turgid DNF
Joyland on Audible by Stephen King
This might be one of my favourite Stephen King stories. So bittersweet, classic coming of age tale mixed with mystery and a few Ghosts.
Great narration too 5 🌟
The beast beyond the fence by Marcus Rashford
Enjoyable and fun 4 🌟
Five have plenty of fun by Enid Blyton
Giving it 4 stars for nostalgias sake. Still enjoyable stories but the further through the series I get the more I remember how she recycled plots. And oh my goodness the attitudes of the times are awful 4 🌟
Madness in the ruins by John A. Connell
Decent story, slightly one dimensional characters but enjoyable none the less. Quite graphic descriptions of torture 3.75 🌟
Up the faraway tree by Enid Blyton
Classic Blyton 4 🌟
The adventure of Goblin the dog by Enid Blyton
Its a classic Enid Blyton story and i love it for the nostalgia but over 50 years after reading it for the first time I now wince at some of the attitudes in it
But 4 stars for the nostalgia 4 🌟
Percy Jackson and the sword of hades by Rick Riordan
Thoroughly enjoyable short story 4 🌟
In malevolent hands by John A Connell
This was a mostly enjoyable short story but it seemed to lack some momentum half way through. Decent enough though 3.5 🌟
Frozen people by Elly Griffiths
Hmmmmm im really not sure about this book and somewhat at a loss as to how to rate it
I'll give it 3.25 because it did pick up over a third of the way in. I was on the verge of DNF several times before that
The ending was also "meh" but there was enough to keep me reading 3.25 🌟
Poets and murder by Robert Van Gulik
Nice crisp short addition to the series 5 🌟
Striding folly on Audible by Dorothy L Sayers
Just love all the Wimsey stories 5 🌟
Pigeon Tony's last Stand by Lisa Scottoline
Very sweet short story 4 🌟
Unknown caller by Lisa Unger
Really poignant tale. Great short story 5 🌟
These cold strangers by J.T. Ellison
Enjoyable but not the best in the series 4 🌟
Trouble by Janelle Brown
Cracking short story 5 🌟
Well July was a busy month for reading! 40 books 😳 but a lot of them were very short. Let's have a look at the stats. For source I was pleased to see more Prime reading in there and a fair few ARC books too. Ive been rereading quite a lot as well.
As seems to be usual im reading way more series than stand alone, follow up seems to predominately but a chunk of unsure. I was quite fatigued a lot of this month so tended to stick to books i knew I would like
Genre, well no surprise there! A bit more fantasy than normal? Maybe?
A new location this month, Germany but otherwise no surprises
Genre, well no surprise there! A bit more fantasy than normal? Maybe?
A new location this month, Germany but otherwise no surprises
40 books! But many small ones, my page no has increased but it's still only averaging 220 per day which is ok I think
All in all a very good month!









No comments:
Post a Comment