Saturday 20 April 2024

Florence day 3 2024, Siena

Would you ever tire of turning round the corner and seeing this on your way to brekkie?? 


On my last trip to Florence I found a wee cafe with a great view of the Duomo, they do nice coffee and croissants, so I wanted to revisit that, still very nice and you get to sit and stare at the Duomo and the bell tower, whats not to love!
Stunning init!



But i was on a mission! I had originally planned for a day in Florence a day trip to Siena then another day and a half in Florence, the disruption meant I had lost a day but I still wanted to go to Siena, I could have picked either bus or train but i picked train which I did regret slightly but it was still a nice journey but there is a steep climb up  to the city center, I opted for a wee chuttle bus instead! what a glorious day! Off I pootled to the Cathedral









Pretty stunning huh???!!!!






Much smaller than Florence but e]qually as beautiful, very very busy though, really nice floors

and ceilings!!!
























Now this was the Piccolomini library, not huge but absolutely stunning!!


Great display of manuscripts


























headed off for a pootle after this
and found the crypt!






























Walked back up and round the cathedral again



Then just went for a wander, there seemed to be graduations going on, lots of females with the beautiful garlands in their hair and family and friends shouting "dottore dottore!" all great fun

What a cracking view, I wanted to go to the restaurant on the right of this picture but it was closing, so I pootled back up to the Cathedral complex to get a sarnie


Via the baptistry!












There was a museum for the complex which was small but had some nice things in it










More manuscripts I do love an illuminated initial 😊






















Pisano!


















After the sandwich and a coke (I needed the sugar! dont normally drink the stuff!) I headed off to the last on the itinerary the Santa Maria Della Scala which used to be a hospital, nice but strange museum eclectic mix of old and modern exhibits

















There was a dsiplay of modern books






These frescos depict the function of the original hospital























I went downstairs and there was an exhibition on of this artist a retrospective I think, I didnt like all the works but there were some really beautiful ones in there



Then downstairs to the archeological section, this was a bit spooky, no signage and at one point I thought I was lost, got a bit panicked!













Adored these pots!





























I had hoped to get the bus home just for a different view but the station was heaving and the buses didnt have signs on them saying where they were going too, all very confusing and I was tired so I just pootled back down to the train station and got a train but a lovely day all round!

No comments:

Post a Comment