Saturday 12 March 2022

World on fire

I really dont know what to say just now, March 2022 feels like March 2020 but on steroids and we are all burned out to boot. I was putting things away last weekend and i found this. It is probably from 2014, when I was Project Linus co-ordinator for my region. I gave out quilts to societies who helped children. One society contacted me, the Friends Of Chernobyl Children. They bring/brought across children from the surrounding areas of Chernobyl who are still suffering physically from the reactor disaster in 1986. These children weren’t born then, a lot are grandchildren of the families but the physical after effects come down the generations.

 I went along to a concert they gave, they sang and danced, at the end they came to a room with me and the organisers and we gave out the quilts. They loved them, they loved picking them the colours, one small girl asked me if she could take one for her baby sister who had just been born, of course she could get one. One little boy grabbed his and ran off with it firmly tucked under his arm, then he stopped, turned round ran back and hugged me around my legs and said “thank you”

this home made thank you card arrived shortly after, I had it up on my desk at work for years. It was packed away, but now it has come out again and sits on my desk in my home office.
I can only hope these children, most of whom will be adults now are safe, I will never know, but if I ever get the slightest bit stressed at work i look up at this and remind myself there is so much more going on. None of this day to day stuff matters in comparison with what is happening on the world stage. Also it reminds me why i do what i do, give people a quilty hug. 



2 comments: