Saturday, 26 December 2015

William and Kate wedding fabric ...

No it's ok you did read that correctly! However many years ago it was when they got married I saw that many folks made bunting out of some rather gorgeous fabric which had been made to commemorate the wedding.

Now I am not going to make any comments on my views on the monarchy ... That kind of thing is like religion and politics, best not mention eh?

But I loooooooved the fabric! So bought a couple of meters.

It surfaced when I was doing my manic pre new year clear out of the sewing room. I knew immediately what I wanted to do with it. It was total madness.

 

Ok you have to agree it is sooooooo pretty right? Now look at the pattern on the left, now look at the top of that trio of patterns, yep the one that has eight points on the binding bit, yep that one.

So plan was to make this table topper in the William and Kate fabric, in one night, it was to be a Christmas gift for a wonderful lady who is just the most massive fan of the royals.

Cheered on by the lovely folks on Instagram I started fussy cutting and chopping ..... First four blocks were cut the wrong size, bugger, but then they got sacrificed for smaller blocks later on.

Ok back to the start again, the fussy cutting took a long time but it was worth it to get the motifs from the fabrics.

Even if I say so myself this is rather magnificent! I was loving it, but also remembering how many bias edges it has ...

First center block came together very quickly. Next border was the same.

 

It was difficult to try and balance the blue and white so that one didn't overwhelm the other.

 

Some pretty fancy dancy fussy cutting later and we have a top! Those corner edges did take a wee bit longer than I had hoped but they were worth it to get the fussiness correct. I think the red which dances round the edge just balances it all out.

So easy least nust got to wuilt and bind .... Ok remember those eight pointy bits I mentioned at the beginning? I had forgotten what a brute they are.

But I did it, finished almost on the stroke of midnight.

The person who it was a gift for loves it, which really is the main thing isn't it?

I have a little bit of this utterly amazing fabric left so I can make some little things for myself with it.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment