Monday, 18 May 2015

I don't speak solids

Two quilts have confirmed recently that solids take me too far out of my comfort zone. Don't get me wrong, I love both of these but they felt like a chore putting them through the sewing machine. I think it's just because I find solids too flat. Me I like colour LOTS of colour, pattern? The more the merrier.

First up is colour me happy, a pattern by Judith Dahmen from Love Quiting and Patchwork magazine. I really loved the finished quilt when I saw it in the magazine. I printed out all the foundations and when I found myself with my baby sewing machine for company while the big one was in the spa I knew this was the perfect pattern to do.

 

I also had a whole bunch of solids left from the simply solids stash builder so it was a no brainer.

I love it and the effect but for my personal taste it's all a bit too flat in the solids. Would love to try this with some really wild Kaffe fabrics though!

 

Next up is the Arcadia avenue quilt along from sassafras lane. Love the effect, really love the block but again can't help thinking I should have chosen something less ..... Solid :-)

 

 
 
 

But I'm grateful to these two quilts for helping me realise that my heart lies with loads of colour and pattern!

 

 

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I love these! So modern, strong and absolutely stunning xx

    ReplyDelete