Saturday, 17 May 2014

Farmers wife

WOW, just WOW, I have done all the blocks. Finished every single one of the 111 little beggars. I started this in April 2011, that was just before I got hit with cancer in July of that year. So I did struggle with these through the fog of chemo, but it never really got back into them in a big way. I hate templates, and the fiddly little ones for these 6.5 inch block drove me crazy!

My first farmers wife block, still one of my favourites

 

So at the beginning of this year I decided it was make or break for me with the farmers wife. In just under three years I had done a grand total of 50 of the 111 total blocks needed.

Sooooooooo I decided nothing ventured nothing gained, I dipped my toe into the paper piecing templates from the yahoo group, now me and paper piecing have a fractious relationship. There have been 'incidents' where numerous sweary words have been deployed ...

The initial first attempts? They were a mixed bag ...

 

Queue little miss disaster :-)

But a slight rearrangement in my commute schedule allowed me to start stonking through these. I quickly grew to enjoy the paper piecing, I should properly call it foundation piecing.

Yesterday I treated myself to a day off work just to sew, I wanted to see how many I could do in one day, eleven, that is how many I can do in one day! And that took me to the 111 th block.

So here they all are, just got to figure out sashings and settings now.

 

 

 

These are the final two which wouldn't fit into mosaic

 

 

3 comments:

  1. Oh Sheila. These are spectacular!
    What an accomplishment!
    Hope you bring it along to the Stitch Gathering Show and Tell!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, they are brilliant! Are they all going to be sewn together?

    ReplyDelete
  3. love your blocks. I have the book ready to go but don't know when I'll start it yet xx

    ReplyDelete