Tuesday 30 April 2013

Catching up


A week off meant a week of catching up on stuff, or so I thought. I was going to get all up to date with BOMs, farmers wife etc. Instead I just became a bit manic about trying new stuff, well nearly new stuff.
I blogged about making the shadow box quilt, I really loved making this not least because it came together so quickly, I still need to decide on a final border though, here is the finished top so far.

I then started on what I thought was going to be a very quick quilt to make -hot chocolate. I have made this one before

it was always one of my favourite quilts. The fabrics had been chosen for well over a year and lurking around in a drawer. There was one fabric missing so I replaced with an oriental style one.







Its second from left in the fabric pile above, I love the way it totally changes the whole quilt top.

But then .... Disaster. I had chosen a sweet little orange 30s print for the final border, the addition of the oriental style fabric meant this was really not suitable any more, it needed something with more punch. I found a great green and red fabric, just the right combo, I cut The four WOFs I needed and then was going to trim them to size, I wasn't thinking and trimmed the wrong edge, the folded edge ... So I now had 8 pieces each exactly half the measurement I needed, there was nothing I could do. So I cut up those strips for binding. Now I just need to find something else for the final border - sigh. More haste less speed.
Linking up as ever to WIP Wednesday
WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

2 comments:

  1. That second quilt is such a neat pattern! Hope you find a suitable fabric for the border!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just started a Shadow Box quilt. I am In the process of cutting right now. Glad to hear it goes together quickly.

    ReplyDelete